Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sweat equity

Been thinking about how to structure this sweat equity agreement.

We all know that, with the best intentions in the world, misunderstandings happen. Also, sailors tend to be emotional about boats. (Yes, I'm looking in the mirror when I say that. I own up to it.)

To reduce the sweeping scope for disaster, I've been mulling how to codify an agreement that would basically work. It's not the simplest arrangement ...

Firstly, how should partial ownership be earned? To what degree does it depend on doing a share of maintenance, vs. major tasks? I have to build in consideration for doing 2-person jobs and work I can't do because of this freakin' disability. This wouldn't even be on the table if it weren't for that.

Then there are the tasks themselves. These have to be measured in several dimensions: urgency, importance for sailing, importance for living, and impact on sale price, to name a few. Then each set of tasks should be assigned a stake share. This also provides some flexibility, so that, for example, my first partner disappears before the work is done, he or she can still be credited when the boat is finally sold and a new partner can step into the gap with minimal uproar.

I have a fairly complete to-do list stuck on my portside portlight. Those who saw my boat when I first got her will remember the main bulkhead being covered in post-its. Now that I know more, I have to write less; there are fewer post-its but I daresay they represent at least as much work.

The cabin is clean and beautiful, as much as circumstances permit. I've hidden keys aboard. Everything is neatly arranged, easy to find. I thought of inviting people to come look things over and see what they think of the idea, the work, and the boat.

The hard part is finding people to ask. I've thought of 2 who have shown me they can work and who clearly love boats - and who are nice enough to have around that I'd be comfortable sharing my home with them. One is in school and the other kind of did a disappearing act. I'll work on expanding my pool, but I guess I'll go ahead and ask them in the meantime. I need the practice. I still tend to get a bit strident when asking for help, even when I can /quo/ a bit of /quid pro/.

No comments: