Sunday, March 30, 2008

Boiling my head

After days of halting progress towards getting all those hoses hooked up, I finally asked for help. Dan and Darryll said, "Use boiling water. It softens up the tubing until it's almost like jelly. It slips right on."

Sigh. Wish I'd known that before.

So I boiled a pan of water and slid the remaining wrist-destroying SOBs on like it was nothing. One could not be dunked, because it was completely upward-facing, so I stuck a rag into the water and, making those little "hoo ha hoo ha" noises, I tucked one sleeve of the t-shirt into the tube and wrapped the rest around it for a few minutes. It did the job.

I double-clamped the joints, just as Russell advised, with each pair of clamps turning in opposite directions. (I'll put up a picture when I can find my camera.)

I pee'd in my own damn head last night. Who knew it could be such a hugely satisfying experience. (Punsters, kindly keep your gags in your mouths.)

Sleeping better

My elderly cushions are deteriorating, especially the one in the quarter-berth, where I sleep. I dug a cheapo sleeping-mat out of storage and put it underneath; to my surprise, it really helps. Softens the final approach, so to speak.

Paperwork

I finally got the boat insured. I could have gotten cheaper insurance that would have required my hiring a surveyor and getting the boat pulled out of the water to be surveyed, but it turns out my car insurer also insures boats now, so they gave me a pricier insurance that wound up costing at least $100 less than the total cost of the other one. Woo hoo!

What's next

It's all about the forepeak and the engine, now. I've found a mechanic who might actually do some good (my neighbor who helped me check spark before) and I've got a couple of buckets to drain the old gas into, to prepare to clean out the fuel line.

I've got all the tools and materials I need to refinish the forepeak and turn it into a sweet, cozy little bedroom/library. Except the actual mattress. Linda knows a furniture upholsterer who owes her a favor, so I think I can work something out there.

Last but not least ... I'm about to go negotiate with the harbor mistress (*whipcrack* kneel when you say that!) about staying here under fuzzy status for another 4-6 weeks. Wish me luck.

No comments: