Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Good morning!
[175 words, ~ 1/2 page]

Last night I couldn't settle down for sleep. I went up on the cabin top and sat down against my mast with one arm around it until my brain stopped whirling, and soon I could lay down. I looked up at the few stars the Bay Area sky allows, and in awhile I saw a meteor scratch a notch across the sky next to the tip of my mast.

This morning, I had to be up betimes. A painful thing, but I managed. I got up to use the shore head and stepped out into the kind of sky that looks like it was finger-painted by a 4-year-old: little skill, few colors, and no taste at all, but LOTS of enthusiasm. It was glorious, especially with the soft air of a warm morning caressing the mouth with each breath.

I came back to find Arthur had come down the dock to greet me, his long fur fluffed out and waving with the gentle humidity, a tuxedo-colored cloud of purry contentment.

I like living on a boat.

No comments: