Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Galley storage/work space

I'm nearly done with the galley counter & shelf space. I put in a wire shelf below, with arrangements to make stowing and securing pots & pans easier:

[img]

Notice there's no bracket underneath the right side. I drilled holes in the bulkhead (wall) and inserted the ends of the horizontal wires of the shelf. It was fiddly: the shelf wouldn't fit in at the length it was, so I had to measure & remeasure then triple measure (measure twice, cut once, fine; I find that, if I'm going to drill, I'm better off measuring 3 times.) I was off by 1/8 of an inch in one hole; another 1/8 would have made it impossible to bully the thing in there. But it worked out.

I'm delighted to have, not only somewhere to put my cookware, but to have it easy to get to! Really, those of you with roomier kitchens have no idea. And there is exactly enough space; no more, no less.

I still wouldn't trade all your space for this self-satisfaction & self-sufficiency. I love making do with little. There was a time it terrified me, and then I had lots, and now I'm really happy about just this.

My point of reference when deciding what to get: everything I need, nothing I don't.

I still need to work on the latter. The main cabin is a mess.

Just going to put in one more bit of counter to complete the galley area. I've cut down the wood; should be straightforward.

No comments: