Monday, October 15, 2007

How to: Get marinated - a work in progress

I'm developing a list of issues that marina harbormasters have about liveaboards, and how to work around them.

In no particular order:
  • Holding tank capacity.
    Until composting heads [toilets] are widely accepted, a holding tank of less than 20 gallons (77 liters or so?) is considered inadequate, even for a single person.
    • Use a holding tank of at least 20 gallons and arrange a weekly pumpout with one of the head-maintenance services.
  • Using the boat as nature intended.
    Liveaboards who use the boat as a floating flat are viewed with concern, for reasons that different harbormasters state in different ways, but boil down to losing sailorly sensibilities.
    • Discuss my association with BAADS, the fact that I sail at least once weekly, and my aim to be always 10 minutes away from casting off (except when I've got tools out.)
  • Prostitution & drug dealing (!!).
    Un-fucking-believable.
    • Hang out, chat with them, get acquainted. According to John (no comments on the name, please, I'm not making it up), once they feel comfortable with me, the wait list may just melt away.
This post may get edited as I learn more.

No comments: